Maintaining Detailed Records
The NOP requires that all certified operations maintain detailed records. These records must fully disclose all activities and transactions, and demonstrate compliance with the regulations in sufficient detail as to be readily understood and audited. We have developed a collection of sample forms and worksheets to help you maintain compliance with organic standards, and help ensure your continued certification with CCOF.
Grower and Livestock Forms
- Recordkeeping Checklist for Organic Growers
- Sample Seed Commercial Availability Search Record
- Sample Seed and Planting Stock Record
- Sample Input Record (Organic Farm Input Record)
- Sample Equipment Cleaning Log — This log may also be used to record cleaning of harvest equipment or spray rigs prior to use.
- County Pesticide Use Report (PUR) Verification Request Form — Submit to California counties for assistance with verifying land use history and performing PUR records searches.
- Sample Land Use Affidavit — Use to establish land use history by previous managers/owners of new parcels being brought into the CCOF program.
- Suggested Neighbor Notification and Drift Prevention Letter
- Sample Complaints Log
- Sample Market Load List
Processor, Handler, and Retailer Affidavits and Worksheets
- Nonorganic Processing Material Affidavit — Used to document any nonorganic material you would like to use in your certified products. Forward this affidavit to your material manufacturer. They must fill out and sign this form.
- Natural Flavor Affidavit — Give this affidavit to the flavor manufacturer so that we can verify that the natural flavor you want to use is compliant. To save time, be sure to check with us before submitting this information to see if we have reviewed the natural flavor before.
- Sample Equipment Cleaning Log
- Sample Agricultural Ingredient Availability Search Record
- Pest Control Material Justification
- Sample Complaints Log
- Recordkeeping Webinar – Part 1
- Recordkeeping Webinar – Part 2
Audit Trail Forms
An audit trail is a collection of documents that demonstrates your recordkeeping system. These records may include, but are not limited to, planting records, invoices, purchase receipts, bills of lading, harvest records, receiving logs, weight tags, NOP certificates, etc. Your audit trail documents should demonstrate the harvest, purchase, and use of all organic products, in addition to demonstrating the quantity of finished product that was produced, shipped and sold. Inspectors will verify that audit trails are sufficient at all annual inspections.
Additional Sources for Sample Records
The NCAT Sustainable Agriculture Project provides a wealth of organic farming and processing information and sample documentation forms. Use this link to find the package that best fits your production type. Do you have a sustainable agriculture question? Get answers about specific farming practices from ATTRA. Ask an expert.
Do you need an Add Acreage Form? Add Process or Product? Private Label Affidavit? Exempt Handler Affidavit for storage facilities or an uncertified supplier? Do you need to update your OSP? Visit our Forms & Documents page. Also checkout our YouTube page for helpful videos.