Exporting Organic Product
Would you like to sell your products outside of the United States, Mexico or Canada? CCOF is an expert in organic exports and routinely works with foreign certifiers and governments to clarify requirements and address concerns. CCOF has several programs designed to review your operation and products for compliance to international markets.
These programs are available to clients who wish to export organic products or sell raw products to any buyer who requires international verification of certification. Clients exporting to the US, Canada, the EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, or Mexico need to enroll in one of these programs.
When you enroll in our Global Market Access, International Standard, or Mexico Compliance programs, your operation will be reviewed by CCOF staff to determine if your product meets the requirements of the importing markets. If compliant, these products will be listed as eligible for export on your Organic Certificate and you will be able to request the needed export documents from CCOF for your international shipments.
Program costs can be found in the CCOF Certification Services Program Manual.
Which Program is Right for You?
Global Market Access (GMA) enrollment is needed if you do any of the following:
- Export organic products to Canada, the EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, Korea or Taiwan from the United States
- Export organic products to Canada from Mexico
- Export organic products to the US, EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, or Taiwan from Canada
- Design labels for products that will be sold in Canada, the EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, Korea, or Taiwan
When you enroll in the GMA program, CCOF reviews your operation for compliance with the requirements of the equivalence arrangements between:
- USDA National Organic Program (NOP) with Canada, the EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, Korea and Taiwan
- Canadian Organic Regime (COR) with the US, EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, and Taiwan
See CCOF’s GMA Manual for fees and additional program information.
CCOF International pages:
International Standard Program enrollment is needed if you:
Export to the EU, UK, or Switzerland from Mexico
When you enroll in the International Standard Program CCOF will review your products and labels to our private standard, which has been granted equivalence to the EU and Swiss standards. CCOF is accredited under ISO Guide 17065 to offer compliance verification to Europe’s organic regulations, EEC 834/2007 and the Swiss Organic Ordinances for Mexico based operations shipping directly to the EU or Switzerland.
Mexico Compliance Program enrollment for certification to the Mexican organic standards (LPO) is needed if you:
- Grow, handle, process, repack, or relabel organic product in Mexico
- Design labels for products that will be sold in Mexico
- Export finished organic products to Mexico from the United States
- Sell CCOF certified organic product to any buyer who requires LPO certification
- Export any organic product to Mexico that will be accompanied by a transaction/control document or a SENASICA import certificate (See the new import regulation for more details)
If you export to Mexico from the United States and do any of the above, CCOF highly encourages you to enroll in the MCP to make the transition smoother when Mexico’s new organic import regulation takes effect on January 1, 2022. To enroll, send a completed Mexico Compliance Program Application to email@example.com
You do not need to enroll in any international program if you:
Grow crops that are exported by another certified organic operation or used as ingredients in products exported by another certified organic operation.
Visit CCOF’s Export Certificates page to access export documents for the EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and others.
CCOF has developed an International Market Labeling Guide to explain labeling requirements for organic products sold in various markets. This and other labeling tools are available on our Labeling and Logos resources page.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions about international programs or exports!