Who needs to register with the California State Organic Program (SOP)?

« Return to all FAQs

CCOF is continuing our services with our staff working safely from home. Although response times may be slower, we are here to support you. We are still accepting new applications and sharing crisis resilience resources and certification updates to continue supporting our community.
Lea este mensaje en español.

The following individuals and businesses operating in the state of California must annually register with the State Organic Program:

  • Every person engaged in the production, handling, or processing of raw agricultural products sold as organic
  • Retailers that are engaged in the production of products sold as organic
  • Retailers that are engaged in the processing, as defined by the NOP, of products sold as organic.

Instructions on how to register with the SOP (CDFA or CDPH) is available here.

Reminder: Operations adding new parcels or facilities in California must also notify the California SOP of any new land or facilities, in order to update their registration. Operations must register any additional land or facilities with the SOP prior to adding the land to the operation's certification.