Permaculture Food Forests
Planning, Growing and Enjoying Year Round Abundance An Applied Permaculture Practicum in Santa Cruz & Surrounding Region With John Valenzuela & David Shaw
Course starts August 2021
Do you want to gain hands-on skills and build community around growing food?
Interested in learning best practices for orchard establishment and management, food forestry, designing year round productive vegetable farms and gardens, and preserving the harvest? We are pleased to offer this advanced practicum grounded in sound horticultural practices, and spiced with the delicious seasonal fruits and vegetables our region has to offer.
Before the area around San Jose was called the Silicon Valley it was known as “the Valley of the Heart’s Delight” because of its apricot, peach and plum orchards, and the delightful abundance it produced. Join us in creating and celebrating these habitats on both home and broadacre scales.
DATES & TOPICS
Session 1: August 14-15, 2021
• Designing Food Forests Part 1
• Stone fruits – tasting plums, peaches, nectarines; • Propagating plants via budding and semi-hardwood cuttings; • Summer pruning; • Planting the fall/winter garden.
Celebrating the Fall Harvest
Session 2: September 25-26, 2021
• Preserving the abundance through drying, canning, fermenting, and pickling; • Pomme fruits – tasting apples and pears (and late plums); • Growing, harvesting and processing nuts and olives; • Integrating animals into the agroecosystem; • Cover cropping, fall plantings, and preparing for winter.
Winter Pruning & Propagation
Session 3: January 15-16, 2022
• Designing Food Forests Part 2;
• Pomology & tree physiology;
• Winter pruning pomme and stone fruits; • Planting bare root fruit trees and berries; • Propagating plants by seed; • Selecting bare root fruit trees, varietal selection, rootstock, disease resistance, pollination; • Exchanging dormant cuttings, scion wood, and perennial plants; • Grafting.
Subtropicals & the Abundance of Spring
Session 4: May 14-15, 2022
• Avocados & Citrus – planting, growing, tasting, varietal selection, propagation; • Berries – tasting, varietal selection; • Spring orchard maintenance; • Thinning, delayed dormant pruning, and corrections to winter pruning; • Public food forests & community harvests.
• $850 – Full Registration
• $775 – Early Bird Discount – Register Before July 10, 2021 and Save $75
• $250 – One Session Only
• $700 – Partner / Spouse Discount – When one partner registers for the full course, the second gets a discount • $700 – Teacher Discount – For K-12, College and University Teachers • $600 – Child Discount – When an adult registers for the full course, their child gets a discount
Please Inquire about Payment Plans, Low-income and Youth POC Discounts.
Registration includes access to all course sessions, online course reader, and fruit tastings.
We will be adhering to the latest COVID-19 recommendations and precautions.
2155 Delaware Avenue
Santa, CA 95050