Fifth Crow Farm is a certified organic and Animal Welfare Approved operation growing 75 acres of vegetables, fruits, flowers, and raising 700 laying hens on the beautiful California Coast. We are seeking a hard-working and inspired individual to join our team of tractor operators for the 2022 season. The person works closely with the farm owners and a small team of seasoned operators to manage 75 acres of field production, from primary tillage through to harvest, for a wide diversity of crops.
This is a unique opportunity to gain further experience with the function and utilization of various tractors and implements on a mid-size farm scale by working alongside experienced farmers. Applicants must also be willing to drive to and lead a weekend farmers market.
Pay: $18-20+/hour depending on experience ($35-40K annually), with health insurance and dental benefits, 1 week paid vacation, paid sick days, and food from the farm. Raise reviews occur every 6 months. Housing on site may be available.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performing various stages of tractor work [spading, discing, ripping, bed making, cultivating, seeding, fertilizing, spraying, mowing, grading, mechanical transplanting, mechanical harvesting and other related tasks]
- Maintaining detailed records of inputs, plantings and other field activities
- Work closely with the Irrigation Manager to coordinate field moisture & tractor work
- Basic maintenance of tractors, including daily inspections and bi-annual servicing.
- Lead a Farmers’ Market 1x weekly
- During the CSA season (May-November), joining a team of 12 people to pack 750+ customized CSA boxes weekly.
- Errand runs once or twice a month
- This position requires at least one year experience operating a range of equipment on a row-crop farm.
- Must have experience with the care of mechanical equipment.
- Mechanical servicing skills and metalworking are a plus.
- Good communication skills and an ability to self manage are critical
- Experience in customer service and with farmers’ market sales
- Basic communication in Spanish
- We are looking for someone willing to give a minimum two year commitment
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform repetitive tasks Applications accepted until the position is filled.
To apply please send a resume, including two references, and a cover letter to Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O. Box 527, Pescadero, CA 94060.
Please visit our website (fifthcrowfarm.com) to learn more about our operation