ABOUT ECO TERRENO
Companies, like great wines, are not just produced; rather they are carefully cultivated. We are seeking passionate individuals to join our team at Eco Terreno where we employ our experience in winemaking with time honored traditions in a healthy respect for the land. With 140-acres of Biodynamically and organically certified land, planted primarily to vineyards in Alexander Valley near Cloverdale, we are one of the leading wine farms in Northern California.
We believe our choices are opportunities to directly impact our future. We embrace the challenges and strive to nurture our planet and its inhabitants. By committing to being part of the solution, as opposed to part of the problem, we hope to inspire others to do the same. It may not be the most profitable or quickest path to success, but it is the most responsible and caring. We are confident small steps create greater strides and are grateful to share our journey with you.
As a company we echo the holistic habitat of our farm and thoughtfully embrace intention in everything we do. The caring hands that tend our fruit and the participants in our journey to share our wine with you, are valued as friends and family. By extending strong living wages and benefits to our team, which are far above industry standards, we are authentic in our purpose and our passion.
Under the direction of the Eco Terreno Vineyards (ETV) leadership team, assist with duties required to maintain the company’s animal biodiversity programs. Key responsibilities will entail health and well-being of our diverse animal populations (domestic and wild), monitoring and developing a pest and disease management program in the vineyards using animals as the tools for mitigation.
- Work closely with ETV leadership team to assess, develop, and monitor animal movement plans in relation to growth of vines, pest and disease pressure, and vineyard operations
- Perform all duties of animal husbandry for vineyard animals including: evaluating health, purchasing and tracking feed, socialization, breeding, culling
- Developing and implementing the movement of mobile chicken coops and other animals as the program expands within the vineyard
- Maintaining, moving, and installing electrical fencing for animal movement
- Develop and implement sheep integration within property for disease pressures
- Continue to evaluate and research animal integration of all types into vineyard operations
- Perform apiary duties and monitor bee behavior for a healthy hive
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Heading the egg program to ensure cleanliness, record keeping, and certifications
- Monitoring and selling eggs to various clients based on egg production and availability
- Tracking and record keeping for animal and product certification
- Enhance the biodiversity of the wine farm for the health of the animals
- Assist with biodynamic activities, including preps and certifications as directed
- Participate in vineyard program work and gardens program as directed
- With gardens and vineyard team, continue to assimilate whole system management within the certified biodynamic farm system.
- Education/Experience: BS in an Agricultural Field education; Or 4 years animal husbandry experience.
- Working knowledge of holistic management and managed grazing systems (preferred).
- Familiarity and passion for biodynamics, organic and perma-culture practices (preferred).
- Working knowledge of the seasonality of farm and animal husbandry skills; local plant species
- Strong observational skills.
- Willingness to work and grow in all capacities as part of a team of growing wine farm.
- Other: Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet the company’s automobile insurance requirements.
- A healthy dose of humor.
- Must adhere to all Eco Terreno Covid-19 safety policies.
- Fluent in English (Required) and Spanish (Preferred). Strong oral communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as vineyard work order documents and scripts and to write routine report/spreadsheets and correspondence.
- Ability to do simple math and conversions. Ability to interpret graphs and analysis results.
- Intermediate Skills: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent programs preferred).
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, talk, hear, taste and smell. Must possess vision, hearing and sufficient digital manipulation skills to utilize a farming equipment. The employee is frequently required to climb and balance, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most duties will be performed outdoors, including garden and vineyard facilities.
- This job entails weekend work on a regular basis.
At Eco Terreno we believe in treating everyone fairly and equitably. We reject discrimination in all its forms protecting our team members, customers and stakeholders from offensive and harmful behaviors. This policy supports our overall commitment to create a safe and happy workplace for everyone.
Our company complies with all anti-discrimination laws, including: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA.) We explicitly prohibit offensive towards any class of team member—protected by law or otherwise. This policy applies to all team members, vendors, contractors, visitors, guests and stakeholders. We do not tolerate cases of assault, sexual harassment or workplace violence, whether physical or psychological. We immediately terminate team members who are responsible for offensive behavior or create a hostile work environment.
To ensure we create a strong team reflecting a culture in our corporate ideals, we hire, promote, and communicate with team members under the broadest inclusion policy possible. We explicitly recognize strength in diversity among the following groups of people:
- Ethnicity / nationality
- Disability / medical history
- Marriage / civil partnership
- Pregnancy / maternity/ paternity
- Veteran Status
- Gender identity / sexual orientation
We reject discrimination and harassment in all its forms. Any instances of either behavior should be immediately reported to the company management.