Reports To: Finance & Operations Manager
Status: Half-time or Contractor - Up to 20 hours Per Week
Hourly Rate: Commensurate with Experience
Join California FarmLink’s Finance team to support the prosperity of California farmers and ranchers, ensure equitable access to economic opportunity, and support environmental stewardship and vibrant local food systems. This position plays a key role in supporting FarmLink’s Development, Finance and Program teams by creating and maintaining grant budgeting, accounting and reporting.
Reporting to the Finance & Operations Manager, the position of Grant Accountant requires extensive cross-department collaboration to be successful in these key areas: maintain grant accounting records, develop and track grant budgets to actual, prepare and timely file all government grant reporting, invoice all reimbursable grants, and assist in other finance related tasks as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Grant Accounting and Reporting
● Budgeting - work with the Development and Programs teams to ensure grant budgets are processed into FarmLink’s accounting and grants management system
● Budgeting - work with the Development and Finance teams to create and maintain rolling 12 month budgets for employee and expense allocations (including independent contractor budgets and allocations) against actual to ensure grant spending is achieved as planned
● Grant accounting - review monthly expenses charged against all grants to ensure appropriate spending of grant funds; meet with programs staff as necessary to review work plans and spend-down plans
● Grant reporting, foundations - work with the Program Manager to monitor grant spending and create reporting in alignment with funder requirements
● Grant reporting, government - prepare and timely file all required reporting with government agencies such as: Small Business Administration, U.S Department of Agriculture, and CDFI Fund
● Grant invoicing - accurately prepare and timely file invoices related to cost reimbursable grants with government agencies and philanthropic organizations
● Timecard guidance - create and maintain a working model of timecard guidance by pay period to share with all employees for the proper allocation of hours and fully burdened payroll dollars to all grants
● Assist with month-end, and quarter-end closings
FarmLink’s Expectations of Person
● Outline and execute individual performance goals aligned to FarmLink’s strategic plan.
● Adhere to FarmLink policies and procedures
● Perform duties as workload necessitates
● Maintain a positive and respectful attitude
● Communicate regularly with supervisor
● Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
● Consistently report to work on time prepared to perform duties of position
● Meet productivity standards set with supervisor
● Continually assess organizational resources, processes, systems and services to increase operational efficiency / effectiveness
● Minimum of 3 years of non-profit financial accounting experience, including grant accounting.
● Excellent financial system management experience including QuickBooks, Google Suite, Excel and Word
● Intermediate to advanced Excel/Google Sheets skills required for budget modeling and forecasting
● Excellent interpersonal skills, comfortable working with people of varied cultural backgrounds including those with English as a second language
● Ability to communicate the written and spoken word with tact, diplomacy, and/or authority when necessary
● Excellent organizational skills, well disciplined, able to meet deadlines, self-starter
● Ability to work under pressure of many priorities and deadlines; effective problem solver
● Minimum AA in accounting, or certificate in bookkeeping, other evidence of strong knowledge of accounting fundamentals including understanding of financial statements, debits, credits, chart of accounts structure, internal control, and basic techniques for reconciling accounts
California FarmLink maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We seek candidates that represent the diversity of the communities we serve, and strongly encourage you to apply.
How To Apply
Please email a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and organization with resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Posted July 2021; applications accepted on a rolling basis, open until filled. Who We Are The mission of California FarmLink is to invest in the prosperity of farmers and ranchers through lending, education, and access to land. We value equitable access to opportunity, resilient working landscapes, fairness and accountability, and learning from diverse farmers and ranchers.
For more info, and to learn about FarmLink’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: https://www.californiafarmlink.org/deiprinciples/