Position: Farm Production Manager
Status: Regular, Full‐Time, Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week, Sunday‐Thursday. Evenings, weekends, and holidays on occasion.
Reports to: Director of Farm Production and Distribution
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
We share organic produce with those who need it most and connect people to compelling Jewish ideas and traditions through farming and food. We distribute food through our on-site pay-what-you-can Farm Stand, pop up mobile farm stands, and donations to hunger relief organizations. We offer hands-on education and experiences through School and Group Visits, Farm Camp Farm Tours, Volunteer Opportunities, Jewish Agricultural Festivals, and other community events, inviting our neighbors to connect to the land, Jewish tradition, and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 17 acres of land which we recognize as indigenous to the Kumeyaay and Luiseño peoples. Our Farm consists of vegetable production fields, education farm and gardens, a food forest, chickens, and compost operations. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation in 2014 and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2015.
Coastal Roots Farm’s Farm Production Manager supports the Director of Farm Production and Distribution to manage all areas of food production, including crop production fields, propagation house, silvopasture, food forest, chickens, and composting, to ensure the success of the Farm’s Organic Food Distribution Program and commitment to Regenerative Organic Agriculture. The Farm Production Manager will supervise, support, and provide consistent on the ground leadership, motivation, and management for the farm production team. Additionally, as a member of the Organizations leadership team the Farm Production Manager will play an active role in cross departmental collaboration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Production and Distribution:
- Provide daily production team management and active support with enthusiasm and a positive attitude throughout all production areas.
- Develop, maintain, and manage annual crop plan with input and guidance from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Procure and manage seed inventory as well as maintaining accurate records for Organic certification.
- Create weekly and daily production staff schedule.
- Supervise and manage daily operations of production staff, with assistance from Production Coordinators and oversight from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Supervise and provide guidance to production team to ensure efficient function of irrigation, field infrastructure, safety, cleanliness, organization, and logging farm records.
- Program, update, and maintain automated irrigation system throughout production areas with input and guidance from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Manage the development and implementation of the Farm’s fertility and pest management plan in coordination with Production Coordinators and collaborative oversight from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Manage the chicken flocks well-being, function, and rotation.
- Create a Weekly Harvest List in collaboration with the Post-Harvest and Distribution Manager and Production Coordinators.
- Advise and provide guidance to the Post-Harvest and Distribution Manager in making informed and strategic produce allocation decisions for all Food Distribution Programs.
- Work closely with the Post-Harvest and Distribution Manager to create an understanding of what is happening in the field and how this will affect the Food Distribution Program, ensuring Distribution is properly allocated based upon current crops.
- Work closely with the Post-Harvest and Distribution Manager regarding proper and strategic storage of crops with oversight from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Support Production Coordinators in relation to harvest coordination and on the ground follow through.
- Maintain and evolve accurate farm logs and records for functionality and compliance with oversight from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Provide technical support for the education growing areas as requested/needed by the Education Department.
- Maintain basic upkeep and function of farm equipment and farm tools.
- Keep all operational facilities organized and high functioning.
Training and Replication:
- Support production team development while promoting a safe, tidy, and efficient working environment.
- Collaborate with the Director of Farm Production and Distribution and the Post-Harvest and Distribution Manager in the allocation and development of operational SOP’s.
- Oversee Farm Production Internship Program for maximum organizational function with oversight and support from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Manage all aspects of Farm Production Internship Program, including on the ground facilitation with participants, and administration consistent with organization-wide Internship Program.
- Incorporate Volunteers/Interns into the production team tasks with efficiency and experience proportionately balanced.
- Provide inspirational on the job training in ongoing operations to the production team.
- Support the Director of Farm Production and Distribution with trainings for team function and compliance.
- Provide outstanding management and mentoring to all production team staff as the direct reporting supervisor.
- Maintain weekly schedules and timecards of direct reports.
- Manage annual reviews and SMART goals of direct reports.
- Conduct one-on-one check-ins with production team staff.
- Manage production team staff hiring and onboarding in collaboration with the Director of Production and Distribution.
- Collaborate with the Director of Farm Production and Distribution with creation of annual production budget.
- Order of farm production supplies as needed and submit credit card reconciliation reports.
- Participate in bi-weekly Leadership Team Meetings and monthly All-Staff Meetings.
- Manage and help drive the upkeep and compliance of the Farm’s food safety plan with the Post-Harvest and Distribution Manager with participation and support from the Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Support and collaborate with the Director of Farm Production and Distribution on Organic System Plan management and developments.
- Keep orderly and precise records, both digital and analog, for compliance auditing.
- Attend professional development opportunities, as appropriate.
Education and Events:
- Participate in tours, working groups, and volunteer events.
- Participate in the integration of Jewish agricultural practices and traditions into farm operations.
- Provide additional support with production team staff scheduling and follow through at farm programs and events.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- At least 3‐5 years of relevant work experience and a relevant college degree, within the fields of organic/regenerative agriculture farm management focused on agricultural education.
- Outstanding and proven skills in managing diverse teams with maximized productivity and efficiency in a wide variety of agricultural enterprises.
- Budget building and operational management.
- Passion for interacting with and educating community members, volunteers, and staff of varied ages and backgrounds.
- Knowledge and passion for community farming, food justice, food systems development, etc.
- Strong knowledge of agricultural equipment use and safety.
- Cooperative service‐oriented attitude with ability to work independently and take initiative while setting priorities and seeing projects through to completion.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and relationship development skills.
- Ability to be open and flexible to new ways of working with diverse communities.
- Creative skills and ability to experiment to attain new better strategies, approaches, and solutions to challenges.
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- A valid driver’s license.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in sustainable agriculture education or related field.
- Certification in organic farming and/or experience with sustainable agriculture and permaculture concepts.
- Strong and proven track record of supervisory experience.
- Experience with soil and water management.
- Experience with IPM practices
- Experience in Fertility Management plans
- Experience with irrigation development and management.
- Experience working with chickens.
- Food safety training.
- Technical knowledge and familiarity with general facility operation, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Knowledge of species and climate specific to Southern California.
- Experience as an agricultural or environmental educator.
- Project management experience.
- Training in active listening and constructive communication techniques such as Non‐Violent Communication, meeting facilitation, etc.
- Desire for a career in agriculture
- Jewish education experience.
- Reports to Director of Farm Production and Distribution.
- Provides supervision and daily support to the Production Coordinators and Community Farmers.
Salary range $65K to $80K and commensurate with experience. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Farm Production Manager will work outdoors as well as in an office setting conducting a variety of tasks, often times repetitive. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continuous walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and pushing/pulling up to 50 lbs., cutting, and carrying. Able to walk a minimum of .5 miles on uneven narrow trails with elevation gain.
Tractors, RTV, trucks, rental equipment, hand tools, power tools, and computers.
Please visit our website at https://coastalrootsfarm.org/job-opportunities/ and click Job Openings & Internships to apply online. All applicants must submit:
- Cover letter
- Job questions
Coastal Roots Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive workforce. We welcome and strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. All qualified candidates, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or genetic information will be considered for this position.