Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports To: Director of Development and Impact Supervisory
Non-Applicable Primary Office: Aptos, with options for remote work Salary: $65,000 - $78,000, commensurate with experience
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
California FarmLink invests in the prosperity of farmers and ranchers through lending, education, and access to land. FarmLink envisions a healthy food system where farmers and ranchers have opportunities to build wealth and conserve natural resources. We strive for equitable access to opportunity, resilient working landscapes, fairness and accountability, and learning from small farmers and ranchers from all walks of life. As a non-profit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), FarmLink has established one of the nation’s most robust economic engines to grow sustainable, small farm businesses heralding from low-income rural communities throughout California. FarmLink is a growing, fast-paced organization made up of energetic professionals dedicated to making change in their community, and the world.
We strive to foster a collaborative, team-oriented workplace that supports innovative and entrepreneurial approaches to small farm business development. FarmLink seeks inspired people with a passion for delving into issues of sustainability and social equity as related to California agriculture, and a drive to tackle society’s “wicked problems” that require collaborative solutions. FarmLink believes that in order to advance a vision for a more inclusive, equitable food and farming system, we must likewise strive for a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment that is supportive, transparent, and positive. We value curiosity, open communication, collaboration, and continuous learning from each other and the clients we serve. Each new addition to our team is an opportunity to bring new perspectives and approaches to meeting our mission, and we intentionally seek professionals from diverse life experiences that bring new points of view to help improve our service to the community.
All Board and staff members abide by and practice CFL’s values and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) principles in their daily work, and you can learn about our commitment to DEI here: https://www.californiafarmlink.org/dei-principles/
Data and informed analysis is a cornerstone of FarmLink’s service to its clients and the community, and our ability to continuously learn and adapt our programs. The Data and Impact Manager will play a key role across FarmLink’s program and administrative teams by managing the organization’s database and client relationship management systems, and designing processes for timely data entry, quality and integrity.
Over our 20+ year experience, FarmLink has developed an integrated data management system to track its service to hundreds of farmers a year across the state. FarmLink utilizes Outcome Tracker, a cloud-based CRM that’s built to integrate with DownHome Loan Management software, a loan accounting tool that fulfills FarmLink’s reporting requirements as a certified non-profit financial institution administering a growing array of investments, grants and government programs. FarmLink also manages a Salesforce Client Relationship Management (CRM) platform which catalogs client and contact information including approximately 7,000 people and over 11,000 technical assistance records spanning California’s small farm landscape.
Additionally, FarmLink implements a Salesforce Community Cloud, called the “Land Portal”, that integrates with our Wordpress website as a robust platform for “Landseekers” and “Landholders” to connect with each other, and apply to FarmLink’s business assistance and loans. The Data and Impact Manager will be responsible for overseeing this growing system including implementation, maintenance and further development of additional capabilities to continuously improve an organization-wide approach to data and impact. This position will work closely with existing data collection software, troubleshooting any problems that may arise with database support staff and consultants, and maintaining the organization’s database to meet current and projected business needs. The Manager will collaborate with staff members to maintain accurate, timely data and analysis for the purposes of program development, fulfilling commitments to funders and investors, and holding the institution accountable to the communities it serves.
The position will support staff in the administration of data collection tools and survey instruments to conduct analysis of the short- and long-term impacts and outcomes of our work. be the go-to resource for FarmLink staff to gather and analyze data from both internal and external data sources to inform the organization's work. Additionally, the position will also provide “help desk” support for clients who need assistance in navigating FarmLink’s client intake and Land Portal.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a self-starter and detail-oriented, with a track record of working independently and creatively to confront complex social and economic challenges. They will be personable and team-oriented, and demonstrate experience working with a diverse array of individuals and institutions to solve problems. Though demonstrated experience with FarmLink’s current systems (Outcome Tracker, DownHome, Salesforce, and Wordpress) is highly preferred, we seek candidates with previous experience in utilizing and manipulating other CRM-type platforms to help organizations improve performance and achieve mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Database and Online Systems Management (40%)
● Manage FarmLink’s database systems to support goals and business operations in Lending, Land Access and Farm Business Education Programs goals and business. Serve as a main resource to assist staff with database needs from business operations that may arise.
● Serve as the lead contact with the software provider and interface with the organization on database issues as needed.
● Supervise database consultants to deliver timely additions or improvements to Outcome Tracker, DownHome Loan Manager, Salesforce and LenderFit, in coordination with program priorities.
● Establish and maintain a database that complies with federal, state and other grant or investment programs.
● Provides recommendations and continuously looks for ways to improve performance, efficiency and effectiveness of CRM databases.
● Liaison with FarmLink’s IT consultants to troubleshoot system issues.
● Lead efforts to develop protocols and procedures to guide data quality and data entry process among staff.
● Provide training modules and ongoing support to staff on utilizing the database system, from accurate data entry to accessing reports.
● Manage data quality integration across multiple systems, assuring consistency and accuracy.
● Create and maintain documentation of standard processes and procedures as business needs evolve or features are changed. Impact
Reporting and Accountability (40%)
● Build and oversee reporting processes to support Development Team, Lending and Programs Management. Develop and configure custom reports and dashboards.
● Manage a reporting schedule in compliance with federal, state and other grant or investment programs.
● Process and interpret investor covenants in order to provide accurate and timely data to Development and Lending staff for reporting and communications.
● Implement reporting parameters as overseen by Development Director for restricted grants and other related philanthropic support.
● Support the grant proposal and investor cultivation process with data and analysis as requested.
Client Portals / User Experience (20%)
● Manage FarmLink’s “Land Portal” online community to ensure the best possible client experience.
● Monitor user experience and provide timely customer service for website users as they navigate the website, intake processes, and Land Portal functions.
● Assure positive client experiences when using Outcome Tracker, and ensure a streamlined application process through loan packaging software LenderFit.
● Build and maintain online program intake processes (i.e. registration forms) and survey instruments in support of program evaluation goals as set by Program leadership.
● Minimum 4+ years of relevant data processing experience with systems design, analysis, and programming exposure.
● Ability to manage complex datasets and data systems architecture, including proficiency in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software and creating customized reports with existing datasets.
● Demonstrated working knowledge of Salesforce, Outcome Tracker and Wordpress is highly preferred.
● Demonstrated proficiency with MS Excel, including the ability to utilize formulaic logic, for data manipulation and analysis.
● Ability to provide excellent customer service to clients and other staff members, via phone, email and in-person as necessary. Ability to communicate in Spanish is highly preferred.
● Ability to communicate technical subject matter through the written and spoken word to colleagues with tact, diplomacy and/or authority at all levels of the organization.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks and frequent interruptions.
● Ability to handle stressful situations with calmness and courtesy, while meeting deadlines.
● Demonstrated experience in program and project management, including “solutions-oriented” problem solving to execute project activities toward timely and successful completion.
● Minimum Associate Degree (B.S. a plus) or undergraduate degree in business or public administration, marketing, analytics, technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and work experience.
California FarmLink offers a generous benefits plan, including health insurance after 60 days, employer contribution to 403b retirement plan, paid vacation, paid professional development, and a family-friendly and flexible work environment. California FarmLink maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We seek candidates that represent the diversity of the communities we serve, and strongly encourage you to apply.
How To Apply
Please email a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and organization with resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Posted July 2021; applications accepted on a rolling basis; open until filled.