About the Ecological Farming Association (EcoFarm)
The Ecological Farming Association has been a leading force for organic agriculture and just food systems since the 1980’s. Its annual EcoFarm Conference, now in its 44th year, is the largest sustainable agriculture gathering west of the Mississippi, and a flagship event for the food movement. This conference and our programming are at the cutting edge of the intersection between on-the-ground ecology-minded solutions and big-picture visioning of the directions needed to address our multiple and intersecting challenges. EcoFarm is at the fulcrum of a pivotal moment in providing practical solutions for farmers to address and mitigate the climate crisis, while addressing the injustices that have led us to this place. Our programs bring together a diversity of stakeholders in California food production to promote grassroots leadership and regional alternatives to industrial agriculture. Through EcoFarm’s consistent quality of programs, we have developed a far-reaching network having reached hundreds of thousands of farmers and professionals over 43 years. To learn more about the mission and programs of EcoFarm visit our website at www.eco-farm.org.
EcoFarm is seeking a full-time Communications Director to lead its communications and marketing efforts. This is a unique opportunity to shape one of the most influential events and beloved organizations in the food and farm movement, while working closely with key leaders in the field in California. Your expertise, relationships, and insights will help to shape our path during this time of transition. EcoFarm is a vibrant, welcoming, and fun place to work, with a strong sense of camaraderie among its many stakeholders.
In practical terms, this position is responsible for all marketing activities related to the annual EcoFarm conference, regular communications, the website, as well as setting strategic communication priorities. The Communications Director supervises a joint office manager/ communications coordinator, and reports to the Executive Director. As a small organization, EcoFarm staff are required to engage in daily communication activities while setting broader strategic goals. The ideal candidate will have a combination of experience in strategic communications, marketing, website management, event planning, database management, as well as speak Spanish. We recognize that not all candidates have this set of skills, and we will support candidates in their professional growth.
- Implement communications strategies that broaden the influence of EcoFarm’s programs and educational opportunities with affiliated organizations, industry leaders, and event participants.
- Develop messaging, branding, and promotions for programs, events, and the organization at large.
- Oversee the planning, design, budget, production and distribution of all promotional material.
- Configure and manage registration and data collection requirements for events using CiviCRM.
- Oversee social media strategy and output across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Mighty Networks
- Manage cultivation of influencer relationships w/ journalists and media outlets by aligning with them as it pertains to our mission and engaging them in EcoFarm to amplify our work.
- Produce monthly e-newsletters and maintain list of ~14,000 e-news subscribers and 5,000 jobs list subscribers.
- Create and maintain systems for tracking and reporting media placement and contacts.
- Develop and carry out benefits and ad placement for sponsors, maintaining high standards in sponsor outreach and communications.
- Oversee CRM and client data management across all platforms including CiviCRM, Zoom, Mailchimp, Mighty Networks.
- Implement best practices in digital strategy and automation to grow our email lists and move our audience into action.
- Maintain and expand relationships with communications staff of affiliated organizations and coordinate regular updates to key partners and constituencies.
- Support the executive director and staff in fundraising, sponsorship, program development and organizational development as needed.
- Support Executive Director with information needed to make decisions on programming
- Contribute to organizational planning and process improvement tasks
- Other activities as needed
- Minimum of five years of experience in marketing and/or communications. Event management or related marketing experience.
- Experience working with electronic, print, and social media
- Knowledge of website design and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Supervisory experience
- Well organized and skilled multi-tasker
- Proficient in Google Suite (primarily Google Sheets and Docs), MS Office, and a CRM database, such as CiviCRM
- High personal standards for the quality and timeliness of work, proactive problem solver, and collaborative team player
- Commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression work
- Commitment and sophisticated understanding of sustainable food systems and agriculture
- Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required
Must reside on the West Coast, with a preference for Northern California. Some travel and overnight trips and attendance at EcoFarm events in California are required for this position. If the successful candidate is in the Santa Cruz area, a hybrid remote and in-office work location is desired. This position requires attendance and onsite support at the annual EcoFarm Conference, typically held the third week of January.
Compensation & Hours
Full-time with working hours scheduled between 8-5pm PT. $70,000 - $75,000 per year. EcoFarm pays 100% of health and dental insurance, participation in a retirement plan, paid holidays, sick leave and vacation time.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Communications Director Application.” Priority will be given to applications submitted by May 26, 2023
Equal Opportunity Employer