Organizational Overview: CCOF advances organic agriculture for a healthy world. We advocate
on behalf of our members for organic policies, support the growth of organic through education
and grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and accessible.
CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people who grow and make our food.
Founded in California nearly 50 years ago, today our roots span the breadth of North America,
and our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an organic community of
farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers, consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to
realize a future where organic is the norm.
CCOF’s home office is in Santa Cruz, California, and we have staff located across North America.
Position Summary: CCOF is seeking a detail-oriented advocate with a strong background in
community organizing. The Policy Advocate will engage farmers, farmworkers, consumers,
and allies to advance policy campaigns.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Policy Director. This position is based
in California. Travel to Sacramento and across California is expected.
• Engage CCOF members and partners; build and sustain relationships with organic
farmers, businesses, farmworkers, consumers, and allies
• Develop and execute strategies to engage members in policymaking, including but not
limited to advocacy trainings, farm tours, legislative briefings, and listening sessions
• Manage data in Salesforce; track member data to tailor engagement and advocacy
(no experience with Salesforce necessary)
• Gather stories and perspectives to ground and inform policy goals and develop
• Lead policy campaigns, which may include advancing legislative, regulatory, education,
outreach, and/or research objectives
• Develop organic agriculture and policy expertise
• Draft policy memos, factsheets, reports, blogs, and other written publications
• Represent CCOF at meetings relevant to our mission and policy priorities
• Collaborate and coordinate across multiple teams
• Carry out grant deliverables and contribute to grant proposals and reports
• Minimum 2 years of community organizing experience (work with rural and/or farming
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Self-directed and collaborative work style
• Willingness to travel periodically throughout the state
• Spanish fluency strongly preferred
• Experience managing projects
• Skilled at sustaining relationships with diverse stakeholders
• Commitment to equity and inclusion
• Strong attention to detail and appreciation for the importance of tracking data
• Passion for our mission to advance organic agriculture for a healthy world
Compensation: The Policy Advocate’s starting compensation will depend on qualifications and
experience. The estimated starting annual salary range for this position is $54,600 - $70,980.
CCOF takes pride in offering excellent benefits.
Hiring Process: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants,
please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Policy Advocate” in the
• Cover letter summarizing your interest in CCOF and the position and qualifications
• Current resume
• List of three professional references (References contacted for finalist only; candidates
will be notified before references contacted).
• A recent writing sample where you are the sole author
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed
candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
CCOF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion,
national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran
status. Please consider writing your job description in such a way as to encourage candidates to apply
who are not 100% qualified. Also, explicitly encourage from underrepresented groups to apply.