FAQs by international

Yes! To export to Switzerland, your product must be certified equivalent with EEC 834/2007. To verify your equivalence, you must enroll in CCOF’s International Standard Program. You will be required to complete an import application with your Swiss importer, which will be verified by the Swiss government. Please be aware that this application... Read more

Yes! Both the EU and Canada now have equivalency agreements with the US to simplify trade of organic products. If your product meets the relevant critical variances for each market; you will be able to export to them. Our EU and Canada pages will help you determine the steps to take, and our... Read more

Yes, CCOF offers two programs designed to verify your compliance with a variety of international standards, including those for EU member states, Japan, Switzerland, Canada, and others. Which program you should enroll in depends on which markets you are shipping to and whether your product is shipped from the US or from... Read more

Being compliant to the USDA/MAFF export arrangement allows you to ship your product to an importer certified to JAS, the organic standard in Japan. Be sure to request a Japan export certificate, or TM-11, from CCOF to accompany every consignment/ shipment. See the “What is an Export Certificate? How do I request one?” FAQ for... Read more


As of June 1, 2012, the process for shipping organic product from the US to the EU is dramatically simplified under the terms of the US/ EU Equivalency Arrangement.      

If you are shipping NOP certified product that has final packaging or processing in the US to an EU member state, all you need is to:

Be enrolled in the CCOF... Read more

“CN” means “combined nomenclature.” A CN code is a customs/tariff designation required in box 13 of export certificates for the EU. CN codes are published in the Official Journal of the European Union.

Disclaimer: While CCOF can assist in determining CN codes, the accuracy of CN... Read more

Transaction certificates may accompany shipments of organic product when an export certificate is not required and the importer requires further documentation of the compliance to NOP standards. A transaction certificate may be used to export to countries other than Japan, Taiwan, the EU member states, and Switzerland. They can also be used for domestic transactions. You can request a... Read more

Every shipment of certified organic product to the EU, Japan, Taiwan, and Switzerland must be accompanied by an export certificate issued by CCOF. These certificates contain transaction-specific details, such as the lot number(s), net weight, and the unique serial number given to each export certificate. Your consignee (importer or freight consolidator) will require an original export... Read more