Job Title: Development & Communications Associate
Background: The California Climate and Agriculture Network (CalCAN) is a collaboration of California’s leading sustainable agriculture organizations and allies advocating for policy solutions at the nexus of climate change and agriculture. We cultivate sustainable agriculture movement leadership to face the challenges of climate change and to serve as the sustainable agriculture voice on climate change policy in California.
We advocate for policies that protect farmland, support on-farm renewable energy and energy efficiency and increase resources for California farmers and ranchers to implement innovative on-farm conservation practices that mitigate and adapt to climate change while providing other environmental and health co-benefits.
Job Description: The Development & Communications Associate works closely with CalCAN’s Executive Director to support and enhance CalCAN’s fundraising, communications and administrative functions. Primary areas of responsibility include:
- Assist with grant applications and reports
- Research on potential new sources of corporate and foundation funding
- Assist with managing events such as farm tours, workshops, a biannual conference and roundtable meetings
- Edit and assist with design and production of written materials such as fact sheets and reports
- Manage membership and media databases
- Administrative tasks such as bookkeeping and financial reports as needed
CalCAN is a small non-profit organization. Staff members assume many diverse responsibilities and do much of their work independently while maintaining good team communication and coordination. This is a new position for the organization and to some extent can be shaped to fit both the needs of CalCAN and the skills and interests of the successful candidate.
Qualifications: Eligible applicants must possess the following skills and experience:
- Interest in sustainable agriculture and/or climate change
- Minimum of two years paid, intern or volunteer experience in non-profit administration, communications and/or fundraising
- Facility with a variety of software tools for information management (e.g., spreadsheets, databases), website management and publication design
- Strong written communications skills
- Self-directed and collaborative work style
Terms: This is a half-time salaried position. The position will be located in Sebastopol. The optimal start date is April 2014.
Compensation: Salary is competitive with small Bay Area non-profit organizations and will be decided based in part on the experience of the successful candidate.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, a writing sample (maximum four pages), and the names and contact information for three references to Renata Brillinger, CalCAN Executive Director (email@example.com). Please no phone calls. Position will be open until filled. Interviews start in March.