Exporting Organic Product: CCOF International Programs
Would you like to sell products outside of the United States? You may benefit from one of CCOF’s international programs. CCOF’s Global Market Access (GMA), International Standard, and Mexico Compliance programs are available to clients who wish to export organic products or sell raw products that may be processed into a value-added product for international export. Clients exporting to the EU, Japan, Canada, Korea, Mexico, Switzerland, or other global markets are encouraged to enroll.
When you enroll in the CCOF GMA, International Standard, or Mexico Compliance programs, your operation will be reviewed by CCOF staff to determine if you meet the requirements of the importing markets. If your product meets the requirements of your import market, it will be listed as eligible for export on your organic certificate.
CCOF is an Expert in Organic Exports
- CCOF staff routinely work with foreign certifiers and governments to clarify requirements and address concerns.
- CCOF attends international conferences and working groups and is well respected in the global arena.
Do you need additional information about specific export documentation? CCOF has tools to help you directly export your organic products to international markets, including EU, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, and others.
Which Program is Right for You?
You need to enroll in the CCOF Global Market Access (GMA) program if you do any of the following:
- Want to maximize market opportunities and ensure your products will be accepted by most foreign markets and buyers.
- Export CCOF certified organic products to Japan, the EU, or Korea from the United States.
- Export CCOF certified organic products to Canada from any location.
- Export CCOF certified organic products to the US from Canada.
- Design labels for products that will be sold in Japan, Canada, the EU or Korea.
- Grow apples or pears that are exported to the EU.
- Grow apples or pears that are used in products that are exported to the EU or Korea.
- Make products containing apple or pear ingredients that are exported to the EU or Korea.
- Produce wine that may be exported to the EU.
- Grow crops or make products containing crops that appear on CCOF’s list of high risk crops (such as carrots, potatoes, or leafy greens) that are exported to Canada or used in products exported to Canada.
- Raise non-ruminant livestock, or make livestock products from non-ruminant livestock, that are exported to Canada.
- Raise livestock or make livestock products that are exported to the US from Canada
- Sell CCOF certified organic products to any buyer who requires international verification certification.
When you enroll in the GMA program CCOF will verify that your products and labels meet requirements for foreign markets where the U.S. National Organic Program or Canada Organic regime has equivalence arrangements, including Canada, the EU, Japan, and Korea. Services under this program are only $125 each for Canada, the US, or the EU, and $375 each for Japan or Korea.
Send a completed GMA application to email@example.com to enroll in the program! If you want to export wine to the EU, you must also complete the EU Wine Approval Application. See CCOF’s Global Market Access Program Manual for details about specific international standards and the GMA program.
Additional information about market requirements is available for the EU, Canada, Japan, and Korea.
CCOF has also developed an International Market Labeling Guide to explain labeling requirements for organic products sold in the various markets.
You need to enroll in the CCOF International Standard program if you:
- Export to Switzerland from any location.
- Export to the EU from outside of the United States.
The CCOF International Standard program is for operations outside the United States shipping to the EU, and operations located anywhere shipping to Switzerland. CCOF is accredited under ISO Guide 17065 to offer equivalence verification to Europe’s organic regulations, EEC 834/2007, for operations shipping directly to the EU from outside the United States, and to the Swiss organic standards for operations located anywhere.
Send a completed Grower or Handler International Standard Application to firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll in the program!
See CCOF’s International Standard Program Manual and read about exporting to the EU to learn more about the International Standard program.
You need to enroll in the Mexico Compliance Program if you:
- Grow organic product in Mexico
- Export to Mexico
If you sell, or plan to sell product as organic in Mexico, visit the Mexico Compliance Program page.
You do not need to enroll in any international program if you:
- Grow crops, other than apples and pears, which are exported by someone else to the EU and/or Korea, or used as ingredients in products exported by someone else to the EU and/or Korea.
- Grow crops that are exported by someone else to Japan, or used as ingredients in products exported by someone else to Japan.
- Grow crops that are not on the CCOF list of high risk crops that are exported to Canada, or used as ingredients in products exported by someone else to Canada.
- Raise ruminant livestock that are exported to Canada, or make livestock products from ruminant livestock that are exported to Canada.
If you meet these requirements, you do not require any additional international documentation to be signed in order for your products to be exported to one of these destinations.
Contact email@example.com with additional questions about international programs or exports.